As a small business owner, we know you work hard to keep your company going. You have also probably worked just as hard at maintaining an online presence. Unfortunately, with one bad Yelp review, you can feel as though it was all for nothing.
There are two important things to remember when this happens. First; there is no need to panic. There are steps you can take to minimize the damage. Two; don’t ignore it! Many business owners will ignore one bad review thinking it will not do any harm. Leaving it alone can actually hurt you more than the review itself!
Yelp can be a tricky place to navigate, and so many small business owners live in fear of the negative review. This is why we have put together a guide on how to handle the situation so as not to affect your standing in your customer’s eyes.
It is pretty certain at some point or another you are going to get a complaint or negative review on Yelp. No one is perfect, and you will never be able to please everyone. What counts the most now is how you handle the review.
- Get The Details- Make sure you read the complaint carefully so you do not miss any crucial information. Once you have the details, do research on your end to make sure everything adds up.
- Apologize– Make an apology for the situation. Be mindful, however, on your wording especially when injury or larger sums of money are at play. Also, be aware that people may complain about things that are outside of your companies control. Apologizing is still your best bet, but again be mindful of your verbiage.
- Offer Amends- You also will want to offer to make the situation right; especially if it was an error on your part. If the error was not on your part, forwarding the correct contact information where they can get resolution can go a long way.
- Give Assurance- This is also the time when you want to give the customer your strategy for improving your company. If you cut down the wrong tree by accident, explain you will be triple checking in the future.
When writing a response to a bad review, you always want to keep in mind that you do have an audience. Be professional and kind in your response; it can have a positive effect on the situation. Also, once you have responded, you want to keep a diligent eye on your reviews and response to queries and other reviews right away.
Non- Legitimate Bad Reviews
Unfortunately, there may also come a time when you receive a negative review that is unwarranted. As we mentioned above, it is important to remember that you have an audience. Your first instinct may be to lash out, but remember not everyone reading the review will understand it is not legit. Here is what to do in that case.
- Get Details- Again, you want to get all the details from the customer and your records. You may be able to politely inform them of their error.
- Do Your Research On The Customer- At this point, if the bad review is completely out of left field (and even if it isn’t) you want to see if this is someone who routinely posts negative reviews.
- Apologize- It is a good idea to apologize anyway. You also may be able to point them in the right direction as stated above.
- Make Amends– If you are able to make amends, without great loss to yourself, do so. Just be clear- you are doing it as a courtesy if you were not in the wrong.
How To Get A Bad Yelp Review Removed
In some cases, you may want to get rid of a bad review. You can attempt to get the negative review removed by Yelp. If your review has any threats, lewdness, hate speech or any displays of bigotry you can ask that they are removed immediately, and Yelp will do so.
In other cases, you may ask for a negative review to be removed simply because it is not true, or you were in the right. In that case, you will have to give a specific reason and be able to back up your request. You will also want to make sure that you respond to the customer first to show you attempted to rectify the situation.
If you go to the review, you can flag the review in question. From there you will be asked to give the reasoning behind the removal. Once that is done, a moderator will review the case and will most likely ask for documentation.
Don’t Go It Alone
There may come a time when you do require assistance to navigate through the Yelp reviews. At Tree Service Marketer we are skilled at getting you the ROI from yelp and all other digital marketing. Contact us today to see how we can put you ahead of the game!
My name is Mike Gurung, Founder and CEO of a tree care marketing agency and author of the book “Power of Web Marketing”. Our team is passionate about helping tree service business increase their sales & grow their revenues by more effectively marketing online via SEO, Google Maps Optimization, Social Media, eMail Marketing, Paid Search and other Online Marketing channels.