In today’s technology laced climate, having a website for your company is essential. Even more than that though, it’s important to have a website that is visible and accessible. Quite frankly, having a website will do you no good if it shows up on the second page of search results; the majority of people never search beyond the first page anyway.
Beyond that, many small business owners spend a lot of time and money ensuring they rank as one of the first websites that come up under local search. Maintaining a site that is accessible is one great way to make sure you are ranking on top of SERP (search engine results page).
There are so many ways you can make your site more visible and accessible; we could write an entire book on the subject! For this article, however, we want to focus on three things that will improve your ranking. All three of these tactics fall under good SEO practices.
SEO (search engine optimization) is the ranking system that determines where you will show up on the SERP. Utilizing these three strategies for your tree care company’s marketing campaign can put you ahead of the local competition, as well.
Make Your Site Accessible
Having a website that is user-friendly will go a long way to making your site more accessible. There are many steps you can take that will help in this area.
- Alt Text – Utilizing your alt text under pictures is widely forgotten about. If done correctly with keywords, alt text can be very beneficial especially in cases where your audience is visually impaired.
- Layout- Keep the layout of your site consistent so it is easy to navigate.
- Internal Links- Use internal links within your content so users can easily navigate to other areas of your site. Note; make your links accessible to the keyboard.
- Page Headings- This runs very closely with layout, but make sure you label each page of your site; example- Home, About Us, Contact, Photo Gallery.
- Mark Changes- It is good to get into the habit of clearly marking any major changes that appear on your site.
- Load Time– Most people will not wait more than 5 seconds for a site to load.
- Mobile-Friendly- Make sure that your site is working across the board. From mobile to PC to tablet.
These are only a handful of the ways you can make your website more accessible to the general public. Many of the techniques mentioned above will help users who have a disability; whether that be visually impaired, hearing impaired, or mobility impaired.
Make Your Site Visible
Once you have optimized your site for accessibility, it’s time to make it visible. After all, you can make your site as accessible as possible, but if no one sees it…
There are many ways you can make your site more visible, and a lot of it has to do with good SEO practices. Besides SEO, there are other channels that can help your site be more easily found, and you do not want to forget about them. Plus, all avenues generally lead back to SEO anyway!
- Social Media– Social media is a great platform to extend the reach of your company. Depending on the field you are in, social media can put your business in front of people you otherwise would not have been able to reach. Always make sure you link your social media with your website.
- GMB- GMB (Google My Business) is another great platform to explore. Registering on this site will help google place you on top of the search results when your business’s category is searched in your geographic area.
- BackLinks- Having another site link back to your website is like getting a vote of confidence from that company. The more backlinks (external links) you have, the more Google will show your content in search results.
- Google Search Console- Similar to GMB, Google Search Console is a site where you can register your sitemap. This is essentially letting Google know that you exist, and they file it away until someone searches within your sitemap.
- Keywords- Not only are keywords important, but long-tail keywords are becoming essential. If someone searches for “tree care in Maine” they will get many results, and you may not be in the list. If they were to search for “oak tree care limb removal in Maine” it will narrow down the search quite a bit. Using keywords, and LTK, in your titles, headings, alt text, etc, will boost your status in search results.
Taking the time to make your site both accessible and visible is crucial to rank well in the very crowded web. Though we covered quite a few things above, all of them done together will help your tree care company succeed.
Though there are many other ways to enhance your accessibility and visibility, there is one noticeable gap in what we have gone over thus far; which is your content. Quality and organic content are what will set you apart from the rest!
In general, your content should include many of the things above; it should have keywords placed naturally, internal and external links, links to social media, it should load quickly, etc. All of those things are important for making your content accessible and visible, but once you have been seen, you ultimately want to be trusted.
Writing content that is relevant, accurate, informational, and relatable is what will keep your customers loyal. It is the ultimate accessibility and visibility factor. Another good point is that not all content is the same. Take a tree care company; you might write a “how-to” blog, or you may do informational videos. Regardless of the medium, you’re using for your content, be sure that it is organic and has quality!
Where Do I Start?
With all the above information, it can be hard to know where to start, right? When you really think about it, maintaining a well-ranking website for your company can be a full-time job itself! Not to worry though, utilizing these basic marketing techniques can make a positive impact on your business.
If you are looking to take your business to the next step, however; we also have the solution for that! Tree Service Marketer is well versed in small business digital marketing, and we can take your company to the next level. No need to wrestle with SEO any longer! Let us put you above the rest!
My name is Mike Gurung, Founder and CEO of a tree care marketing agency and author of the book “Power of Web Marketing”. Our team is passionate about helping tree service business increase their sales & grow their revenues by more effectively marketing online via SEO, Google Maps Optimization, Social Media, eMail Marketing, Paid Search and other Online Marketing channels.